Friday, January 13, 2023

Guiding Word for 2023 - Remember

 “Remember who you are.” 

Hearing the voice of James Earl Jones say this to Simba in The Lion King, always stirs me to action. 

My guiding word for 2023 is remember. 

I often experience times where my anxiety gets the best of me. An immediate example that comes to mind is jumping into the Barefoot Writer Club and copywriting. It seemed like something for a while that I wanted to do, but every time I got close to doing it, all the “what ifs” begin to haunt me. Reflecting on my life and my previous experiences with anxiety helped me to remember the challenges I have overcome. 

In my younger years, one of my greatest desires was finding the right girl, getting married, and starting a family. My own family growing up was and still is very family oriented. Some of my greatest memories were made with my family. I wanted to duplicate that for myself. 

My biggest roadblock was my anxiety. 

In my late 20s the anxiety had reached a peak. It was at that point I got so frustrated I dropped to my knees in sincere prayer. As I prayed, the thought came to me, “remember the things you have overcome.” 

Remembering is what brought me out of my gloom and doom enough to say, I am done with it. 

It was just a couple months later that I met an amazing woman, online. We have now been married for almost 18 years and have 3 very different and incredible boys. 

In a The Business Journals article To manage your anxiety, remember your pastsuccesses, author Stevie Ray stated, “If you remember past negative events, they will affect future outcomes. If you remember past successes, the brain is tricked into thinking that the past will rise up and ensure a good outcome.” 

This is the key to me reaching my goals in 2023! 

Anytime my anxiety peaks up this year. Each time I hit a roadblock or some other frustration. I am going to …

 ·      Remember my why

·      Remember my successes

·      Remember my goals

·      Remember that I’ve got this! 

Simba heeded his father’s advice. He remembered who he was. Then he went home to face the challenges awaiting him there, and become the king. 

This year I will remember my past successes, remember to celebrate the little things along the way, and become the king of my writer’s life!

Do you have a guiding word for 2023?

0 comments: